Protect your fish from falling leaves and freezing weather.
If you have fish or aquatic plants in your pond, you will want to insure that they have the best possible chance of wintering over without any ill effects. Just follow these easy steps and look forward to seeing wake up and re-emerge next spring.
- Place pond netting over the surface of the pond at the first sign of falling leaves. Anchor netting with large rocks or potted plants at the corners.
- When the trees are bare, temporarily remove the netting and clean all debris from within the pool.
- Cut back hardy plant stems to approximately 1″ and place them in the deepest part of the pond, preferable 12″ or more.
- Turn off waterfall and pressurized filter, if applicable.
- Add salt and water treatments.